1. How is entering the contest different this year?
You’ll enter the contest and pay the contest fee when you register for the Midsouth Fall Conference. You then have until July 8th to email your entry to the contest coordinator.
2. How do I format my manuscript correctly?
Please see the fiction contest page for contest guidelines and sample manuscripts.
3. How do I insert the header correctly?
Each version of Word uses a different method. For your version of Word, do a Google search for “how to insert a header.”
4. How do I insert page numbers in the header?
Each version of Word uses a different method. For your version of Word, do a Google search for “how to insert page numbers in a header.”
5. How do I know if my manuscript is formatted correctly? It looks right on my computer.
Email your manuscript to a friend and have him/her check it prior to emailing it to the contest inbox.
6. Can illustrator notes be added to my picture book manuscript?
Yes. If you have illustrator notes in your picture book manuscript, do not delete them. The contest submission should be treated as any picture book manuscript you would submit to an agent or editor.
7. My SCBWI membership is current, but I am not from the Midsouth region. Can I enter the contest?
8. I have won the Midsouth fiction manuscript contest before. Can I enter again?
Yes! But you must enter in a different category the year after you won. After the one-year hiatus, you may reenter the same category with a different manuscript.
9. I have received an honorable mention in the Midsouth fiction manuscript contest before. Can I enter again?
Yes! You may enter any category, but you may not re-enter the manuscript that won an honorable mention. You must enter a different manuscript.
10. If I format my manuscript incorrectly, will I still be allowed to enter the contest?
All correctly formatted entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern/10:59 p.m. Central on July 8th. It is up to the author to make sure a manuscript is correctly formatted before submitting to the contest. If you have any questions about formatting, please contact the contest coordinator. To ensure your entry is correctly formatted in time for the contest, please email your entry early!