Illustration Portfolio Critiques
Option 1: Submit a URL with up to 15 images. Your entire site will not be critiqued. If your online portfolio includes more than 15 images, critiquers will only consider the first 15.
OR Option 2: Submit an Instagram album curated with up to 10 images. Example: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxxvuganlmh/?igshid=1t8w3xn60jgft
For your paid critique, you may submit:
- one picture book manuscript
- OR one picture book manuscript with dummy (for illustrators only)
- OR up to 10 pages of poems
- OR a one-page synopsis of a fiction or nonfiction project + the first 10 pages of the corresponding manuscript.
- OR a one-page synopsis of a graphic novel project + the first 10 pages of the corresponding manuscript (a one-page art sample is optional).
Submit your correctly formatted manuscript to SCBWIMidsouthCritiques@gmail.com no later than 11:59 p.m. Eastern/10:59 p.m. Central on September 30, 2020 (for first round PAL critiques, and January 5, 2021 for second round, acquiring faculty critiques). Online registration must be completed and all fees must be paid by this time as well. All submissions will receive a personal confirmation within 48 hours. PLEASE DO NOT email asking if your submission has been received BEFORE this window expires.
We will not be able to swap manuscripts after you’ve sent yours to us. If your manuscript arrives after 11:59 p.m. EDT/10:59 p.m. CDT on September 30, 2020 or January 5, 2021, you will be informed. This fee is nonrefundable.
1) Writers who are not illustrators DO NOT need illustrations for their picture books. A correctly formatted manuscript is the only necessary submission. Author-illustrators may submit a correctly formatted manuscript with or without a dummy.
2) Your manuscript must ARRIVE in our inbox ON or BEFORE September 30, 2020/January 5, 2021. Manuscripts received after that day cannot be accepted.
3) In the subject line of your email, please include the category (i.e., picture book, middle grade, young adult, nonfiction). Please name your manuscript file as follows—LASTNAME.TITLE.YEAR—and send it in .docx format. For picture book dummies, name your PDF as follows: LASTNAME.TITLEDUMMY.YEAR
4) Format ALL manuscripts in double-spaced 12-point Times New Roman.
5) ALL submissions must include a title page with your contact information and the genre of your manuscript (YA, MG, PB, chapter book, graphic novel, or NF) in the upper left-hand corner. Please note, it must be only one genre, there is no MG/YA per publishing guidelines. If you are represented by an agent, please note that on the title page as well. The title page does NOT count as one of your ten pages.
6) The name on your manuscript MUST match the name you registered under for the Seminar Series, even if you write under a pseudonym.
7) For picture books: submit up to 10 pages of ONE picture book manuscript. No synopsis is needed.
8) For picture book dummies: submit one full dummy as a PDF (regardless of page number) AND a .docx file of your manuscript only, formatted as listed in step 3 above.
9) For middle grade, young adult, nonfiction, chapter books, and graphic novels: submit a title page, the first 10 pages of your manuscript (even if it cuts off mid-chapter) plus a short synopsis (no longer than one page) all in the same document.
10) For poetry: this includes rhyming picture books, novels in verse, and stand-alone poetry collections. Poetry submissions should conform to the picture book and novel guidelines above; however, they may be single-spaced with a double space between stanzas, per industry standards. Stand-alone collections (i.e. a group of poems intended to be published as one book) must have a page break at the end of each poem. There is a word count limit of 2500 words.